Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Doctors and Yoga

Today I visited the doctor for my Week 24 check-up. Unfortunately the doctor I was scheduled to see was at the hospital delivering a baby - again. At least I know she's done this before.

Today my growing baby belly was measured at 24 cm. Interesting tidbit: The length of the belly should equal the number of weeks pregnant. I also heard the baby's heartbeat, which clocked in at 156 beats per minute. Legend suggests this indicates the baby is a girl. But doc says that's a popular myth (maybe right about 50% of the time--but according to Brandon, 42% of all statistics are made up on the spot!), and the baby's heartbeat actually changes all the time during pregnancy. So who knows what this means. I don't think I'll ever tire of hearing this sound, which some people compare to galloping horses or a really loud ceiling fan. Click to hear a baby's heartbeat at 24 weeks. It's pretty cool...

After putting in a brief appearance at work this afternoon, I headed over to my Tuesday night prenatal yoga class at Blooma. The instructor also happens to own Blooma and was highly recommended by my friend Rachael. The whole experience has been terrific, and tonight's class was even better because Keri, my friend who is due June 18, joined me. I'm pretty impressed with the women in my class who are only days away from their due dates. I'm hoping it's the motivation I need to continue these classes until June!

5 comments:

Rachael Walker said...

E and B (and your little dog too), What fun to read all about your big adventure! Also, I must say that I feel quite special that you put my name in "print" (especially in just the second post)! Thanks also for adding a link to Blooma. Sarah Longacre, the owner, is a fantastic yoga instructor and I would recommend her to any expecting momma!

Molly said...

This blog looks great! I'm very impressed.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Molly- this looks great! I have a question though...which lady are you in the yoga picutre???

Martin said...

This is exciting! I'm glad your 24-week visit went well. Since you aren't sharing names, I'll share a few. But first, the reason names are on my mind, is that we got us a little puppy! She's a little bitty 8-week-old black lab mix. Some names I'd come up with included: Thurgood (if a boy), ThurGertrude (if a girl), Ernkish sounded cool, and I really liked the idea of a dog named "Dorg". In the end, I settled for "Lyla". Kristin seemed to prefer this one to the others. So little Lyla is in our lives now. Sweet little thing is sleeping next to me here. Looks like little Joey, only jet black. Keep up the good blogsite. And feel free to use any of the names I had come up with.

- Martin

TKO said...

Well done! Looking forward to reading all about your big adventure. Hope to run into you guys again very soon. Take care. Also, hope you don't mind, but we also added your blog to our friends list.