Friday, April 11, 2008

A Lesson Learned

Last night was a rather trying evening, but I came to the realization this morning that I might have learned a valuable lesson. First, a rundown of the night:
  • 7:00 pm - Arrive home after an unusually hectic day at work.
  • 7:15 pm - Attempt to walk Joey in the rain/hail/snow. Neither of us wanted to be outside, but nature calls.
  • 7:45 pm - Realize the furnace isn't working properly. Crank the thermostat as high as it will go in an attempt to warm up.
  • 8:30 pm - Head outside again after Joey repeatedly whines at the door. Learn she is experiencing an upset tummy.
  • 9:00 pm - Investigate heat situation. The indoor temp is up to a balmy 60 degrees. Decide to turn in early for the night.
  • 9:45 pm - Stand up from bed to grab phone. Left knee decides to give way with an alarming crack (am I suddenly an old lady?) and fall to the floor. Joey attempts rescue effort through massive licking campaign.
  • 10 pm to 6 am - Wake up every hour or two to Joey's whining. Go outside in pjs and boots a few times so she can take care of business.
  • 7 am - Get out of bed to discover extremely sore knee and a chilly temp. Hope for a snow day but realize it's not going to happen.
  • 8 am - Head downstairs to leave for work. Find a special gift Joey left on the living room floor at some point in the night.
  • 8:10 am - Walk Joey again in the sleet. Lament the unfairness that Brandon is in Bermuda, missing this joyful experience. Yes, he is there working, but still...

As I drove to work and got a little breakfast in my system, my mood definitely improved. I realized that maybe my unpredictable evening was good preparation for the baby's arrival - sleepless nights with little or no routine for a while. Still, those nights aren't here yet, and I'm hoping for a low-key evening tonight!

No comments: